I promise I have not gone all political on this blog but I just wanted my French readers and everyone in France to know that my thoughts and prayers are with them at this terrible and tragic time. Europe will not be defeated by these atrocities!
Anyway, it’s quickly approaching cookie season where it will all be cinnamon and peppermint flavours, so I wanted to get in quickly with these Cherry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies before all that started. So you wouldn’t miss out on a really great cookie.
Packed full of oats, chocolate chips and cherries, these cookies are soft and chewy and have a warming hint of cinnamon with every bite. If you prefer your cookies a little crunchier then simply keep them in the oven for a few minutes longer. Either way these cookies are so good. I like my cookies soft and Michael likes his cookies crunchy so each batch gets baked differently in my household.
These are not a mile away from my Lovely Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I just reduced the cinnamon a little so the cherries and chocolate chips had a more prominent flavour. I have made these using Dried Sour Cherries and French Glacé Cherries. I really liked them with both, depending on your taste buds you can use either. Today here I am sharing the ones with French Glacé Cherries, because they are a little sweeter and not such a required taste. But if you want to use sour cherries then use the same amount 100 grams or 1/2 a cup.
The great thing about this cookie recipe is its a great base, and perfect for choosing your own add in’s. Before, when I made these I used raisin’s but these would work just as great with chopped pecans, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, dried cranberries, really just add in your favourite chip, dried fruit or nut. Or add them all in!!! Well maybe not!
Whatever add in’s you use these are a great cookie to have with a cup of tea or coffee as a little pick-me-up and they also great as a lunchbox filler.
So how soon before we see peppermint everything? I can’t wait I love all the Christmas goodies that will be everywhere very soon 😀
Cherry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 105 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 55 grams dark brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- 100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 mililiiters golden syrup (1/4 cup)
- 180 grams plain / all purpose flour (1 and ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 180 grams rolled oats (2 cups)
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet(1/2 cup))
- 100 grams French Glacé Cherries chopped (1/2 cup)
- Cream the butter and sugars together until they are well combined this will take about a minute in a stand mixer.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, golden syrup and mix until everything is combined.
- Sieve in the the flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and also add in the oats. Mix on a low speed until everything is just combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Stir them in by hand gently until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter. Place the batter in the fridge and rest the dough for at least 30 minutes (But up to 2 days).
- After you have chilled your dough preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4.
- Roll your cookie dough into balls, you are looking for them to be about 2 tablespoons in size. Place the balls on a lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart and give them a slight press down to help flatten them a little but not totally.
- Pop them in the oven and take them out after 10 minutes, they should be a light golden colour with the edges a little darker then the centres. Allow them to sit on the hot tray for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Kept in an airtight tin these cookies will last for 5 days.