Caramelised Banana Oatmeal with Raspberry Compote is a super easy breakfast to make, it comes together in just a few minutes and is good enough for a quick breakfast and fancy enough for a luxury tempting weekend treat. I love oatmeal, it’s quick and easy to put together and it’s actually pretty healthy. Packed full of fibre and vitamins and can pair with pretty much anything you want. My latest favourite is banana and raspberry.
Pretty much everywhere in the world, this is called oatmeal, but here in the humble United Kingdom it goes by a different name ‘Porridge’. I have a feeling this is a terribly British name, but at home, this is what I call it. But for the sake of international understanding I shall continue with the name oatmeal.
This oatmeal is made in the microwave, which makes it a really quick and easy breakfast to make. I made mine with unsweetened almond milk, so this oatmeal is vegan. It would be simple to turn gluten free too, by switching the oats to gluten free oats. This basic method is perfect for a quick and easy oatmeal base.
The basic oatmeal is a great base for a variety of toppings, pretty much whatever takes your fancy. Today I am sharing with you a simple tasty fruity topping of caramelised bananas and a super simple raspberry compote. I caramelised my bananas in coconut oil to keep this dish vegan but feel free to use any vegan spread or butter if keeping this dish vegan is not a problem for you.
The combination of oats and fruit is filling enough to keep you full till lunchtime and satisfy your sweet tooth all morning! So tell me, what is your favourite oatmeal topping? If you are anything like Michael, then he keeps it traditional Scottish all the way and has salt…… yuck!!! But then again he say’s that of my fruity and sweet toppings.
- 75 grams oats (3/4 cup)
- 375 millilitres unsweetened almond milk (1 and ½ cups)
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar - divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large banana - sliced
- 100 grams fresh or frozen raspberries (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the oats, almond milk and 1 teaspoon of the agave nectar in a medium sized microwave bowl and on a high heat microwave for 2 minutes.
- On a medium heat in a frying pan gently melt the coconut oil and add the sliced bananas.
- In a small pan add in the raspberries, 1 teaspoon of agave nectar and the water and heat over a medium heat, stirring occasionally so the raspberries break down.
- When the microwave is finished take out your oats give them a stir and give them another 2 minutes on high.
- Turn your banana slices over to gently fry the other sides of them.
- Stir your raspberries again and bring them to a gentle boil.
- Divide your oats between two bowls, divide the banana slices between the 2 dishes and equally spoon the raspberry compote between the dishes.
- Drizzle a further 1 teaspoon of agave nectar on each bowl and serve immediately.