These Banana Nut Caramel Muffins are so good and I love them and I know you will love them too!
I made these ages ago and because they were so delicious and barely lasted 2 days in my house I never got around to writing a post for these. Then last week I had some overly ripe bananas at home and some more of my salted caramel sauce in the fridge and decided to make them again and actually share the recipe this time.
If you are a banana muffin fan and love salted caramel sauce then seriously you must give these a go, they are simply amazing. There is no other word for it.
Everything from the moist banana sponge, the salted caramel soft centre, the warming flavour of cinnamon and the crunchy nut topping is perfect in these muffins. They would make a wonderful indulgent breakfast or a lovely teatime treat.
The caramel centre in these just melts into the muffin wonderfully, as you can see from the images the caramel has even worked its way up to the top, giving you a caramel flavour in every bite. I achieved this by putting a teaspoon of salted caramel sauce in the centre of the mixture. Mine was homemade but you could easily use shop bought caramel sauce.
Since first making this delightful salted caramel sauce I now almost always keep a jar of it in the fridge. It’s easy to make and tastes so good.
Its only recently that I have come to appreciate muffins, I always shunned them in favour of cupcakes, thinking muffins were just unattractive lazy cupcakes, but I was so wrong. Muffins can be healthy or indulgent and have a multitude of flavour combinations.
The nuts in these and the ones sprinkled on top prior to baking are just chopped mixed nuts, so if you have or know someone who has a nut allergy you can always leave them out. I like the chopped nuts as they added texture and they did give a lovely crunchy finish.
The banana in these make them really sweet and moist, and would make a lovely muffin without the added caramel or nuts, but I wanted to make them a little more than just another banana muffin and seriously recommend you trying them, they are just so good 🙂 you wont regret making these banana, nut and caramel muffins.
Banana, Nut and Caramel Muffins
- 115 grams chopped mixed nuts ((1 cup))
- 230 grams Plain flour (All Purpose, (2 cups))
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 150 grams sugar ((3/4 cup))
- 2 large eggs - beaten
- 113 grams unsalted butter - melted ((1 stick))
- 3 medium very ripe bananas - mashed
- 12 teaspoons salted caramel sauce
- Pre heat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4 and pre a 12 hole or two 6 hole muffin tins with paper liners or lightly grease your tin.
- Place the nuts, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl and mix everything together until well combined.
- In a medium bowl mix your beaten eggs with your slightly cooled melted butter and mashed bananas.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and gently mix until just combines.
- Muffin batter doesn’t need to be overworked otherwise you will get denser muffins rather than light and fluffy ones.
- Fill your muffin cases 1/3 full, and place a teaspoon of salted caramel sauce in each of the cases and cover with more batter until the cases are 2/3rds full.
- Pop them in the centre of your oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Once firm to the touch take them out of the oven and allow them to cool in their tins for a further 10 minutes.
- Take them out and allow them to cool on your cooling rack.
- These should keep in an airtight tin for 3 to 4 days.