I just wanted to share this recipe before the sun disappears for the year. Summer may be just over but its still sunny and warm…. Just! And I know I have more banana muffin recipes on this blog then is humanly sane but personally I think you can never have enough. Especially if you are bringing something new to the table and these Banana Lavender Muffins certainly do that.
I totally understand floral flavours are not for everyone, some find them too unusual and fragrant and others just find them just plain weird. I have always loved them, lavender, rose, jasmine and violet are some of my favourite flavours if used sparingly and in the correct bake.
These lovely banana lavender muffins only have a hint of lavender in them, I used lavender picked and dried from my garden. I also made them with some food grade lavender I bought while I was last in France. But I have seen it online and in the shops. So its not hard to come by. But please make sure it is a food grade lavender you are using. These muffins also only have a hint of banana too. It’s like the two flavours meld to become one lovely flavour.
Another great thing about these muffins is they are not overly sweet. I have a real preference for these with just a little touch of salted butter on them.
Which makes them a great breakfast treat but they are also amazing at any time of the day.
So if you are a little adventurous in your flavours and a tiny bit brave then give these banana lavender muffins a go because you are going to love them!
As for how much lavender to use it depends on how strong you want the flavour, and that is why I have put 1 to 1 and 1/2 tablespoons in the recipe. My advise would be start with one tablespoon and see how you like that and if you think you can go a little stronger then next time try them with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of dried lavender flowers.
Banana Lavender Muffins
- 280 grams plain / all purpose flour (2 and 1/4 cups)
- 160 grams sugar (3/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 180 millilitres milk (3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
- 150 grams unsalted butter melted and cooled (3/4 cup)
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease or line a 12 hole muffin pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a medium sized bowl then place to one side.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl or jug mix the milk, eggs, lavender, melted butter and mashed banana together until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and with a gentle hand mix everything together until the dry and wet are just combined. Don't worry if your batter is lumpy looking with a few flecks of flour through it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan filling each hole no more than 2/3-rds full. Bake in your hot oven for 25 minutes.
- My oven is notoriously slow, so I advise you to check your muffins at the 20 minute mark. If done take them out of the oven allow them to sit in the muffin pan for a minute then place them on a wire rack to fully cool down.
- Kept in an airtight tin your muffins will keep for 4 to 5 days. They can also be frozen for 2 months, just make sure to fully defrost first before eating them.