One of the most versatile bakes has to be banana bread. And this banana blueberry bread is no exception. Perfect for breakfast, as a snack or even as a dessert. Banana bread is always easy to make and the add-ins are almost limitless. This banana bread, in particular, is a small one-pound loaf and is perfect for a smaller household.
Of course, the base of any banana bread is banana. This little loaf uses 2 small or 1 large very ripe banana. Giving this banana blueberry bread a perfectly balanced banana flavour. It’s not super strong, but that was what I was after as I also wanted the blueberries to shine through. Which they do, the blueberries on top of this loaf burst a little and became all jammy. Which is lush! There are blueberries in every slice and they just explode with flavour.
While you could change the blueberries out in this banana blueberry bread to almost any other berry I highly recommend sticking with blueberries. They pair perfectly with this banana bread.
What else is in this banana blueberry bread?
Nothing weird or unusual. I tried to keep the fats in this bread down to a minimum to try and keep it a little healthier. I used 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, but sunflower or olive oil can be used. Just make sure the oil is light in colour and flavour.
I also kept the sugar as low as I could, I used 5 tablespoons of light brown sugar. If you want to use something a little less refined you can easily replace it with coconut sugar. But I would stay away from liquid sweetness like honey or maple syrup. They could make the batter too wet and take longer to bake through.
There is nothing else weird in this banana blueberry bread. Just a little flour, I use white flour. You could use a mix of wholemeal and white but I wouldn’t use all wholemeal as it would make this little loaf too heavy. We also have a touch of baking powder, a drop of vanilla and an egg.
This is a great weekend bake to make with the kids or a way to use up those sad and pathetic looking browning bananas on the countertop.
Small Sized Banana Blueberry Bread
- 2 small ripe bananas (or 1 large banana)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90 grams plain/all-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams blueberries – fresh or frozen (1/2 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 and either line with baking parchment or lightly grease a one pond loaf tin.
- In a medium sized bowl mash your banana's really well.
- Mix the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla into the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Gently fold in the flour and baking powder to form the batter.
- Fold the blueberries in holding a few back to scatter over the top, to give you those jammy bits.
- Scatter the remaining blueberries over the top and place the tin in the middle of your oven.
- Bake your banana blueberry bread for 40 minutes, even though it is a small loaf it still needs this time to bake off. Check the bread with a pick, if the pick comes out clean then your bread is baked through if not give it another 5 minutes. Cover with tin foil if your bread needs longer in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to fully cool down.
- This bread freezes really well, wrap in plastic wrap then tin foil and freeze for up to 3 months.