I love a good granola bar, especially homemade ones. You can make them any flavour you like and even these ones which are packed full of white chocolate chips are still going to be healthier than anything you can buy in a shop. Yes these do have some sugar in them, but still probably less then anything you will buy. I shared my sunflower seed granola bars with you earlier this year and these apricot and white chocolate chip granola bars are not miles apart, but hey why mess with a good base recipe if it works? But they are a little sweeter than my original ones, thanks to the inclusion of white chocolate chips, but they are definitely worth it 😉
If you are a granola bar fan then these are going to be perfect for you. Soft and chewy with the right amount of crunch.
You can pretty much add in what you like to the base recipe, this time around I fancied something a little sweeter and I was craving a little chocolate as well.
But I didn’t want it to be completely unhealthy and I love the combination of apricots with white chocolate, they really do compliment each other so well.
To give them a bit of a crunch I did add in some pecans, these are my favourite nuts but you could substitute these for any other kind if you prefer. I also added in some raisins partly because they are good for you and partly because I think they are really tasty too 🙂
As I said before you could change all the inclusions in these but I can not strongly recommend this flavour combination enough. They are sweet and crunchy and very moreish. These squares are perfect for lunch boxes, coffee mornings or even as a cheeky little dessert. Hey they do have chocolate in them after all 😉
Apricot and White Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 150 grams light brown sugar ((3/4 cup packed))
- 3 tablespoons clear runny honey
- 150 grams Unsalted butter ((3/4 cup))
- 250 grams rolled oats ((2 and 1/2 cups))
- 75 grams raisins ((1/2 cup))
- 75 grams coarsely chopped pecans ((1/2 cup))
- 200 grams chopped dried apricots ((1 cup))
- 100 grams white chocolate chips ((heaped 1/3 cup))
- Prep an 8x8 inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper, then place it to one side and preheat your oven to 160C / 325F / Gas mark 3.
- In a medium sized saucepan put in the sugar, honey and butter and melt over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Once it has place the pan to one side to cool.
- While your pan is cooling, in a large mixing bowl place your rolled oats and raisins.
- Place your pecans in a plastic zip lock bag and give them a gentle bash with a rolling pin to break them down into small pieces. Then add these to your mixing bowl.
- Add in your chopped dried apricots and white chocolate chips and give everything a good mix.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients from your cooled pan and stir until everything is very well combined. Make sure your liquid is cool so it doesn't melt the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and press it down with the back of a spoon and pop it in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- You want your granola bars to be golden in colour, when it is, take it out of the oven and allow it to fully cool down. About an hour should do it.
- Take the cold granola slab and cut it into 12 equal size squares.
- Kept in an airtight tin these granola bars will keep well for up to one week.