When I put this up on Instagram last week I never imagined it would be so popular. It is the simplest yet tastiest recipe I have made in quite a while. Three simple ingredients and 5 minutes of your time will give you this absolutely perfect 5 minute Chia Strawberry Fridge Jam.
With strawberries in abundance at this time of year, it’s easy to overstock the fridge a little. I have been guilty of it once or twice so far this year. They are just so sweet and tasty I just can’t help myself. But sometimes I just can’t get through them and this recipe is perfect for preserving those sweet fruits for another week or two.
Slightly over-ripe squishy strawberries are perfect for this recipe, they don’t need to look perfect by any means. As you are going to mash them down in a pan with a small amount of sweetener. I used Natvia, with whom I work with on Instagram, its zero calories and completely natural which I love. But by all means, replace with your own prefered sweetener. This is not a sales pitch!
I never really use these babies enough. They are packed full of so many good things, but I always forget to use them more often. This recipe is perfect for them. Their natural ability to go all jellified makes them perfect for this chia strawberry fridge jam. It helps to naturally thicken the jam without having to either add pectin to thicken it or cook the recipe like a proper jam.
Although just a small warning, because this is not cooked like traditional jam it won’t keep like jam. Once made 2 weeks is the maximum shelf life, that is why I have made a small batch as its easier to consume within that time frame. Though, to tell you the truth I went through this batch in 6 days. It tasted just too good!
This Chia Strawberry Fridge Jam is so easy to make there is no excuse not to make it next time you have far too many strawberries in the fridge.
5 minute Chia Strawberry Fridge Jam
- 350 grams strawberries (2 cups - once chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Natvia sweetener
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- Hull your strawberries and chop them into quarters.
- Place them in a small pan along with your sweetener and on medium heat, gently mash them up as little or as much as you like, to your personal liking.
- After 3 to 4 minutes take the pan off the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Leave to cool slightly for a few minutes and then decant into a clean sterilised jar.
- Once at room temperature place in the fridge and use a needed.