I love a good sticky gingerbread; there is something so comforting about it. When I visit my mum and dad I am always hopeful she has made her gingerbread for me and rarely am I disappointed. This recipe is a tweaked version of my mums cake, not that it needed tweaking but I had a jar of molasses I needed to use up and molasses goes well in ginger cake, makes it that little bit stickier.
There are a few things I love about this gingerbread one is the fact its so super easy to make. Everything is mixed in one bowl and you also only need a small saucepan.
Another great thing is this gingerbread is almost brownie like in texture. It’s like a ginger brownie, fudgy, sticky and just a little bit gooey. And the day after baking, it gets a little bit better and if you have any left on day 3 it is even more amazing!
It’s probably so sticky due to all the golden syrup packed into this tray bake. It’s not the healthiest of cakes around but hey why should your cake be healthy?
This is a quick and simple bake and its perfect for when you are craving something warming, spicy and gingery.
To cut through some of the sweetness I drizzled this cake with a simple lemon icing and it compliments the flavouring so well the tart lemon, the sticky golden syrup and the fiery ginger make perfect partners.
I love this simple cake and I know you will too.
*Measurements in cups is a guide this recipe was made using metric weight*
By October 16, 2013Published:
- Yield: 9 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30-35 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
A gingerbread that is almost brownie like in texture. It’s like a ginger brownie, fudgy, sticky and just a little bit gooey.
- Ingredients for the cake
- 230 grams self-raising flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 220 grams golden syrup (2/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 85 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 55 grams light brown sugar (1/4 cup - packed)
- 1 large Egg
- Drop of milk
- Ingredients for the icing
- 8 tablespoons Icing sugar (Confectioners sugar)
- Rind of 1 small lemon
- Juice of half a small lemon
- Directions for the cake
Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4
Line a 10x8 inch tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sieve the flour and ground ginger together and place to one side.
- In a small saucepan put the golden syrup, molasses, unsalted butter and sugar together and stir together on a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted, once done put aside for a minute to cool a little.
- After a minute, add the melted ingredients to your bowl of flour. Add your egg and mix, until everything is well incorporated. Add a drop of milk to the batter to loosen it a little so it’s at dropping consistency.
- Pop your cake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes. Checking once 30 minutes is up as some ovens are hotter than others. You want your cake to have a rich golden colour to it and a pick to come out clean when inserted.
- Take it out of the oven and leave it to fully cool in its tin.
- Directions for the icing:
- Once the cake is cool, measure out your icing sugar into a small bowl and zest a small lemon and add it to the icing sugar. Juice half of this lemon and mix everything together, until you have a liquid that’s pourable.
- Using a teaspoon drizzle the icing over your cake and serve.
- This cake will keep in an airtight tin for 5 days
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress