Nothing beats the perfect cookie, and while I would never claim to have made the perfect cookie these are pretty damn close. Soft and chewy, fudgy and bursting with chocolate in every mouthful.
These are packed full of chocolate, cocoa powder, white, milk and dark chocolate chips. You could just use one kind of chocolate chips, whichever is your favourite but I loved the combination of all three and I know you will too
Yep you did read that right, these are spicy chocolate cookies. These cookies have a combination of ground mixed spice, ground cinnamon and nutmeg in them, each spice bringing a lovely warmth and sweet spicy afterglow. Don’t worry these cookies will not blow your head off, it is just a mellow after taste.
Another great thing about these cookies is you don’t need to chill the dough before baking A lot of cookie dough’s need to be chilled to stop them spreading in the oven. The beauty of this dough, because it’s quite thick, it doesn’t spread in the oven very much and therefore doesn’t need to be chilled.
Soft, chewy and fudgy
As I previously mentioned these cookies are lovely combinations of soft, chewy and fudgy. In a previous article I spoke a little about cookie science and I applied all the same rules here, I used brown sugar to help keep them moist and soft and I added 2 eggs to this batter to give them that fudgy texture.
This cookie dough will yield you somewhere between 18 to 21 cookies depending on how large you make them, I recommend to make the dough balls no larger than 2 inches big. They will spread a little in the oven so give them a little space on the tray. These will keep in an airtight tin for up to five days.
Spicy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
By May 6, 2014Published:
- Yield: 18-21 cookies
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10-12 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
A soft, fudgy double chocolate cookie packed full of chocolate chips, with a lovely sweet spicy after taste.
- 220 grams Plain flour (All Purpose) (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 60 grams good quality cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 105 grams unsalted butter - softened (1/2 cup)
- 300 grams granulated sugar (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 280 grams chocolate chips - mixed white, milk and dark (10 ounces)
- Pre heat your oven to 180C / 350F/Gas mark 4 and prep your cookie tray / sheet by lining it with baking parchment.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and spices together and place to one side.
- Using a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until fully combined.
- Add the flour mix in two batches, and mix in on a slow speed.
- Stir in your chocolate chips by hand.
- Roll into balls no larger then 2 inches in diameter, and make sure you have at least 3 inches in space between each cookie.
- Pop them in your oven for 10 to 12 minutes, chocolate cookies are notoriously hard to gage when they are baked, but trust me take them out of the oven and allow them to sit on the hot tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- In an airtight tin these will keep fresh for up to 5 days.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress