We all know that salted caramel sauce was so last year darling but I don’t care the stuff is so addictive! Give me a jar and a spoon and I am a happy girl 😉 I love using it in baking, it can take a normal bake and raise it up to new levels.
Thats pretty much what it does to these Salty & Sweet Snickers Brownies, with a little help from some salted peanuts, this treats other secret weapon.
They are salty & sweet. The deep rich chocolate from the brownies and caramel are the sweet element the saltines also comes from the caramel and peanuts.
The brownies are my simple go to recipe, they are quick and easy to make requiring only one bowl and one spoon. So less washing up to do 😀 They require no melting of chocolate and have no butter in them. The addition of oil helps to keep these soft and fudgy.
The salted caramel sauce I use is my homemade version, the recipe can be found here. It tastes so amazing its rich, smooth, creamy with just the right salty tang. But by all means use shop bought sauce. I always keep a jar of shop bought on hand in the cupboard for when I have no homemade left in the fridge.
Don’t be shamed into thinking you must make everything from scratch, I love kitchen shortcuts. I am the queen of ready made pastry! So if you want to use shop bought then you go ahead and use shop bought 😀
Because these will taste just as amazing either way 😀 That I promise!
The peanuts add a lovely crunch to these and the mini marshmallows add even more gooeyness to an already fudgy brownie. These are not for the clean neat eater they are sticky and messy but once tasted you will be asking where have you been my whole life! And thats a promise 😀
- 130 grams Plain flour (All Purpose), (1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 40 grams good quality cocoa powder, (3/8 cup)
- 100 grams light brown sugar, (1/2 cup lightly packed)
- 125 grams granulated sugar, (1/2 cup + 1 and ½ tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 millilitres vegetable oil, (2/3'rds cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 160 grams salted peanuts, (1 cup)
- 30 grams mini marshmallows, (1/2 cup)
- 210 grams salted caramel sauce, (3/4 cup)
- 40 grams salted peanuts - crushed, (1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease and line a 9 inch square pan with baking parchment and place to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the flour, cocoa and both sugars. Give them a gentle whisk to combine them together.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, vegetable oil and all the eggs. Mix everything together until you have a thick glossy batter.
- Add in the salted peanuts and mini marshmallows and mix till evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into your prepare tin and pop it in the middle of your oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Like most brownies the edges will be firmer than the middle when they are ready to come out of the oven.
- Leave them in the tin too fully cool down.
- If you keep your salted caramel in the fridge, then take it out an hour before needing it so it is easier to spread. As I mentioned above it doesn't matter if you use homemade or shop bought salted caramel sauce.
- Once the brownie is cooled to room temperature lift it out of the pan and peel off any parchment paper still attached and place the brownie on a flat serving plate.
- Gently spread your caramel sauce all over the top of your brownie taking it right to the edges. Place your peanuts in a small zip lock bag and give your peanuts a little bash breaking them up. Then sprinkle all over the top of your brownie. Cut up into 15 squares and serve.
- Kept in an airtight tin these brownies will keep for up to 5 days.