We all have our basic go to recipes that we change and alter the flavouring too to suit our needs and mood. This is one such recipe for me, depending on my mood I can make this basic buttermilk loaf sweet or savoury. Today I am sharing a version with you that is jam packed full of sweet juicy raspberries and studded throughout with dark chocolate chips. A flavour match made in heaven
As I mentioned before this is my basic buttermilk loaf, in the past I have made this basic loaf stuffed with olives or sun-dried tomatoes and basil and I have also made a multitude of sweet versions including, blueberry, strawberry and even peanut butter flavour!
This time it is packed with a really good combination of raspberries and dark chocolate.
Raspberries and Dark Chocolate
If you haven’t tried these two together before then you are in for a real treat, they pair together beautifully. The raspberries add a wonderful sweet tangy flavour while the dark chocolate gives it a little touch of decadence, the chocolates bitterness is toned down by the natural sweetness of the raspberries.
As with most of my recipes that use fruit I have used frozen raspberries in this recipe, because when developing a recipe sometimes you need to make it several times and fresh fruit, especially raspberries can be expensive. It’s far more cost effective to use frozen but by all means use fresh ones if you prefer. But just a word of caution if you do, raspberries are notoriously delicate so when you are mixing them into the batter be very gentle.
Time to Enjoy
I really love a slice of this for breakfast, as it’s not too sweet I don’t feel too guilty, well it does have fruit in it and of course a good slathering in butter always helps! But it really is a lovely treat for any time of the day.
Mid morning snack, lunch time treat, afternoon pick me up or possibly even for dessert if jazzed up with a little ice cream on top!
Raspberry Buttermilk Loaf with Dark Chocolate Chips
By July 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 loaf (8-10 slices Servings)
A buttermilk loaf packed full of juicy raspberries and dark chocolate chips.
- 300 grams Plain flour (All Purpose) (2 cups)
- 110 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240 millilitres buttermilk (1 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 60 milliliters vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips (heaped 1/3 cup)
- 130 grams frozen raspberries - fresh can be used (1 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line or lightly grease your loaf pan. I used a standard 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, suar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk them to fully combine them.
- Mix the buttermilk, egg and oil together in a jug until fully mixed together.
- Add the frozen raspberries and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients give them a quick stir in.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and very gently mix to combine everything. It's so important to not over mix this batter to keep the loaf light once baked.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, once the time is up insert a skewer into the centre to see if it comes out clean, if it doesn't, then give it a few more minutes and check again. Once the skewer comes out clean take it out of the oven but keep it in it's tin for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take the loaf out of it's tin and allow it to fully cool down on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This loaf can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress