It’s Peanut Butter Bash time again, this time we are mixing our favourite nut butter with jelly or jam, (depending on which country you live in). Even though it is still a little early in the year I decided to make ice cream, yeah I know its still cold outside. But I had a stack of cream that needed using up and I thought what could be better than Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream. Ice cream is a great way to use up a surplus of cream.
If you fancy joining in the peanut butter bash fun then check out the end of this post for joining details. Once a month we post a dish with peanut butter and one other main ingredient then link up with each other to share in the peanut butter love.
So back to this peanut butter and jelly ice cream. It’s an easy no egg base that comes together in minutes and only requires a few hours in the fridge to chill. So as long as your ice cream bowl has been frozen before hand in the freezer then this ice cream comes together in just a few hours. Which is a huge advantage over egg yolk bases which generally as a rule require at least 6 hours chilling and another 3 – 4 hours freezing.
To me PB&J is the ultimate American flavour, I remember as a kid being fascinated by American TV shows which showed people eating this in a sandwich. They don’t really sell American style jelly in this country and I have never come across grape jelly, unless I am in a speciality foreign food shop. So when I was in America for the first time many years ago I made a point of trying it and I was hooked. I always loved peanut butter but add it to grape jelly and its amazing.
But grape is so hard to come by here in the UK that I have to use strawberry instead, which is still amazing. So it’s not all bad! So if you want a little kick of nostalgia if you are an American then this will float your boat and if you are not and love peanut butter then you must try this combination because it is oh so good.
- 240 milliliters semi skimmed / half fat milk (1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 125 grams smooth peanut butter (1/2 cup)
- 480 milliliters double / heavy cream (2 cups)
- 155 grams strawberry seedless jam / jelly (1/2 cup)
- Pre freeze your ice cream maker bowl in accordance with the manufactures instructions.
- If you have a blender pour in the milk, salt, sugar and peanut butter and blend until smooth. If you don't you can do this step in a bowl with a hand whisk. Just be sure to really whisk in the peanut butter.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add in the cream and stir until well combined.
- Pop the bowl into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Set up your ice cream maker in accordance with the manufactures instructions and pour in your ice cream base and churn for 10 to 15 minutes. Or until you have achieved soft scoop consistency.
- Take about a ⅓ of the ice cream and transfer it to a container that is suitable for freezing, spread it out.
- Take a ⅓rd of your jam and drizzle it all over the ice cream.
- Repeat these steps until you have no ice cream or jam left. Cover your tub and place it into the freezer for at least 3 hours to harden up.
- The ice cream should be consumed within 2 months.
The servings are based on 120 millilitres / ½ cup portions.
Do you want to join in on the peanut butter bash fun? If so, email Miranda and request to join the Peanut Butter Bash facebook group! The first Thursday of each month we post a dish with peanut butter and a mystery ingredient. There is also a Facebook group if you want to join in the fun but don’t run your own blog, The Peanut Butter Recipe Box. Here are the other peanut butter and jelly dishes.