While I was making these I had a terrible feeling everyone was going to think I had gone mad and was making a Christmas recipe in April. But why should we reserve white chocolate and cranberries just for Christmas? They are a great flavour combination and can be enjoyed all year round and I will show you how with these simple to make No Bake White Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Bars.
What I love about these bars is they are super easy to make, they are no bake and require very little work to put together. Which for me is a borderline perfect treat. Here in Scotland over the last few days there has been a mini heatwave, I say heatwave I mean its been surprisingly sunny and warm and I haven’t wanted to put the oven on and these no bake white chocolate cranberry pecan bars were the perfect solution.
No Bake Bars
So lets get to know these bars a little better shall we? The base is a really simple mix of white chocolate, condensed milk, digestive biscuits and a touch of ground ginger.
Right before we go any further lets talk about digestive biscuits. I don’t think you can get digestives in America and I am not even sure they are available outside of the UK. From a bit of internet research I have gathered digestives are really similar if not the same as Graham crackers. So my best advice is to use Graham crackers if you are unable to get hold of Digestives. Another bonus, if you do live in America I believe you can by Graham Cracker crumbs so I have also given the amount in crumbs if that makes it easier for you.
So once the simple base is made its just a case of toping it with some more white chocolate and a sprinkling of dried cranberries and toasted pecans. The hardest part of these no bake white chocolate cranberry pecan bars is waiting for them to fully harden.
Another great thing about this recipe is its really customisable, if you are not into white chocolate then change it up with milk or dark chocolate. Cranberries not your thing? Fine, then change them for dried cherries or blueberries. Not so into pecans, that’s okay change them for macadamia or walnuts. So as you can see you can customise them to how you prefer. But this combination of flavours are fantastic and well worth trying and I promise you will enjoy these no bake white chocolate cranberry pecan bars.
- 450 grams digestives blitzed into fine crumbs (15½ ounces or 4 and ½ cups of crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 400 grams white chocolate - divided (14 ounces)
- 1 x 397 gram tin condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 60 grams pecans (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams dried cranberries (1/3 cup)
- Lightly grease an 8 inch / 20cm square tin and line it with parchment paper leaving a little overhang so it is easy to get out later.
- In a food processor blitz the digestives or graham crackers until they are fine crumbs. If using pre-boxed crumbs then measure / weigh them out into a large bowl. Mix the ginger into the crumbs.
- In a large saucepan over a very low heat gently melt 300 grams (10½ ounces) of the white chocolate along with the condensed milk. Keep staring until the chocolate has fully melted.
- Working quickly so it doesn't set on you pour the crumbs into the white chocolate mix and stir to mix everything together.
- Then pour the mixture into your pre-prepared pan, press it down with the back of a spoon, cover it with clingfilm / plastic wrap and place it into the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
- When your hour is up, chop your pecans up into small pieces and place them in a dry frying pan and gently heat them up over a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, turning them every few minutes.
- Take the pecans off the heat and place them to one side.
- Melt the remaining 100 grams (3½ ounces) of white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second blasts and spread it over the top of your biscuit base with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the pecans and cranberries over the top and cover again with clingfilm / plastic wrap and place back in the fridge for minimum 1 hour.
- Take it out of the fridge and cut it into 8 large bars or 16 smaller squares.
- Kept in an airtight tin in the fridge these bars will last 10 days. At room temperature these bars will last between 5 and 7 days.