I mentioned earlier in the year I was going to be sharing a few more of my savoury recipes, especially as some of my most popular posts ever have been savoury ones! I know! For a baking blog I was surprised too, but if savoury is what you like then savoury I will share.
It’s also a nice way to prove to you I don’t live entirely on a diet of cake. Which would be nice, but I would be the size of a house if I did that. That’s one of the things I love about this soup its actually kinda healthy. There is nothing in it that should cause anyone any problems. It’s vegetarian and vegan friendly and because I use a gluten free stock its also gluten free.
So no matter what diet you are following my Healthy Pea and Mint Soup should fit the bill. And it all comes together in 15 to 20 minutes. Saving you loads of time in the kitchen. What’s not to love?
I use frozen peas in this soup because as much as I love fresh peas, they are costly and time consuming to prepare and are seasonal. Frozen peas are available all year round and cheap. And after a little research frozen vegetables are pretty good for you. They are frozen not long after harvesting to lock in all the goodness. So thats always a good thing too.
Another convenience aspect of this soup is the vegetable stock I use. In the past I have made my own and it is amazing! But it’s time consuming and can work out expensive. Where as ready made shop bought is cheap and convenient. I use a lovely organic gluten free stock, but use what you can afford. The natural flavour of the peas and mint will be the major players in this game. This is meant to be a cheap quick meal to put together.
And don’t worry if you are not a major fan of potatoes in soup, the small amount in this soup is really just to help thicken the soup naturally. Keeping the soup even more natural.
To keep this soup vegan I used extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over the top, but if you are not so worried about keeping this vegan in the past I have used cream or natural yogurt and that too has worked well.
So get your pans at the ready and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
- 1 and ¼ litres of Vegetable stock (certified gluten free) (5 and ¼ cups)
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 2 small potatos - peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint - chopped
- 285 grams frozen peas (2 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan bring the stock to light boil over a medium heat.
- While its gently heating, dice your onion up into small chunks and peel and dice your potatoes into small cubes.
- Also, shred / slice up your mint into thin strips.
- Once your stock is at a light boil add in the diced onion, crushed garlic, diced potatoes, fresh mint and frozen peas.
- Bring it back to the boil.
- Cook at a brisk simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once all the vegetables are soft, pour your soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and gently heat again for a few minutes then serve.
- Like most soups they need to be eaten within 3 days.