We all have overflowing book shelves stuffed with cookbooks, I know I do, I don’t know if it’s the shiny covers promising deep secrets of how to cook like Nigella Lawson with as much sass as she does or if it’s the impossibly pretty cupcakes on the covers? But whatever the reason we keep buying them. One of the many I have is ‘Cake Days by the hummingbird bakery’. It’s full of the weird and wonderful recipes that I hope to work my way through one day. One I have been dying to try is their cola cupcakes.
But for the longest time I was struggling to find cola syrup or flavouring, then one day walking through a shop I passed a Soda Stream stand and it hit me, soda stream syrup would be perfect for the cola cupcakes. It’s cheap so if the cakes didn’t work out I wouldn’t feel like I had spent a fortune like you can on some flavouring.
So off I went with a bag of several different flavourings, if they work out I’ll post them some time later on the blog. I also had some red and white straws at home that I though would be perfect for decorating them and I also had some fab coca cola napkins to serve them with. The book decorates them with cola bottles but I couldn’t find any so I decided to mix a little of the syrup with granulated sugar and allowed it to dry out. I was really pleased as I thought it was a really pretty copper colour and complimented the cake lovely.
The sponge had a really mellow cola flavour running through it, it was sweet but not overly so and the buttercream just boosted the cola flavour.
The only slight issue I had was the buttercream split slightly when I added the cola syrup, this didn’t bother me to much as it wasn’t to noticeable and didn’t effect the flavour at all.
These would be fantastic for a kid’s birthday party, or even good to make with kids, as they are not particularly complicated to make. Better yet make them at the kids party and allow them to join in!
*Measurements in cups is a guide this recipe was made using metric weights*
By July 4, 2013Published:
- Yield: 12 cupcakes
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
Cola flavoured cupcakes great for kids and adult parties alike.
- Ingredients for the sponge
- 80 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature (1/3 cup)
- 280 grams caster sugar (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 240 grams plain flour (all purpose) (2 and 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cola flavoured syrup
- 240 millilitres milk (1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- Ingredients for the frosting
- 500 grams Icing sugar (Confectioners sugar) (4 and 1/2 cups)
- 160 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cola flavoured syrup
- 50 millilitres milk (3 and 1/4 tablespoons)
- for the sugar sprinkles
- 55 grams granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons cola flavoured syrup
- Directions for the sprinkles:
Put your sugar in a small bowl and add you cola syrup and give it a good mix. If you feel it’s a little dry add a drop more.
- Make sure all the granules are well covered and spread them out on a baking sheet to dry out for until needed.
- Directions for sponge:
Pre heat your oven to 190C / 375F / Gas mark 5 and line a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Mix the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder together with either a hand mixer or stand mixer until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a jug place the cola syrup, milk and eggs and mix together by hand.
- Add 3/4 of the milk mix into the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed then increase to a medium speed and mix until all is well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining 1/4 of milk mix, keep beating until everything is well combines and the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between the cases not filling them more than 2/3rd full.
- Pop them in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Check they are well risen and springy to the touch before taking them out, if not give them another minute or two.
- Leave them to cool in their tins for 10 minutes them remove them and place them on a cooling rack.
- Directions for frosting:
With the electric hand mixer or stand mixer beat the butter and icing sugar together until there is no large lumps of butter left. It will be a little powdery still but that is fine.
- Mix the cola syrup and milk in a jug.
- Add it slowly to the butter mix while your mixer is on low.
- Once all added, up your speed to medium and keep mixing until your buttercream is soft and fluffy.
- Spoon a generous amount of buttercream onto each cupcake and swirl it around with a pallet knife. Or pipe a swirl if you prefer.
- Sprinkle each cupcake generously with your flavoured sugar and enjoy.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress