Sometimes I like to revisit old recipes and play about with them, change them around a little and experiment with different flavours. This time I revisited my minty candy cane cookies and decided to change the flavourings. Gone are the candy canes, after all it isn’t Christmas….. yet! And in came the chocolate caramel 😀 with a little bit of this and that taken out I came up with this lovely Cadburys caramel cookie cake.
Chocolate and Caramel
The filling in this cookie cake is Cadburys Caramel bars broken up into chunks. For those who do not live in the UK this lovely chocolate bar is chocolate chunks filled with soft caramel.
So when you cut into this delicious cookie cake you have an amazing gooey surprise waiting for you.
So imagine this, a soft thick vanilla cookie slice with a chocolaty soft caramel center. Tempted yet? 😀
Easy to make.
Regular readers will know I love to keep things easy and simple, using ingredients that most of us all ready have at hand. The only ingredient that may seem a little out their is coconut oil. I love using coconut oil in cookies, it really helps keep them soft and crumbly but if you don’t want to use it you can replace it with unsalted butter or shortening if you prefer. Replacing one for one.
The coconut oil adds only the faintest of coconut flavour to this cookie cake, it certainly is not over powering. I also used icing sugar (confectioner sugar) to help sweeten them as this also helps to give you a super soft cookie. Another good thing of this cookie cake is its so easy to make and the cookie batter requires no chilling time, so its even quicker from bowl to oven to plate!
You could replace the chocolate bar chunks with your own favourite chocolate bar, I have made these cookies in the past stuffed with bounty bars. They were eaten so quickly I never got to share them with you on the blog!
So grab your mixing bowl, preheat your oven and start mixing. You wont regret it I promise 😀
- 150 grams coconut oil (solid form), (3/4 cup)
- 100 grams granulated sugar, (1/2 cup)
- 80 grams Icing sugar (Confectioners sugar), (1/2 cup)
- 2 lare eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 450 grams Plain flour (All Purpose), (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 regular sized cadburys caramel bars
- Preheat your oven to 190C / 375F / Gas mark 5 and lightly grease a loose bottom round tin or line a 9 inch square tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the coconut oil and the sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating between each addition. Add in the vanilla extract and milk, mix till everything is well incorporated.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and very gently bring everything together.
- Split the mixture in two and with one half cover the bottom of your tin and press it down into all the corners.
- Place your chocolate bar pieces in a circle so every slice will get some of that chocolaty caramel goodness 🙂
- Take the other half of the batter and crumble it all over the top until everything is covered and then gently press down till you have a smooth top.
- Pop your tin in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You are looking for you cookie cake to have turned a light golden colour and be firm to the touch.
- Take it out of the oven once it has baked and allow it to cool down before you take it out of its tin and cut it up. Kept in an airtight tin this cookie cake will last 5 days.