In the New Year I did an article about predicted food trends for 2016, and one of them was spiralized vegetables. I love my spiralizer, its such a great alternative to pasta and a brilliant way to get more veggies on your plate. This Butternut Squash Noodle and Walnut Stir Fry is a quick and easy vegetable dish that is perfect for meatless Monday or as something a little different for your vegetarian or vegan diet.
I read on the internet that butternut squash noodles are called boodles, what a cool name! I love it, boodles…. can you imagine ordering them in a restaurant, and the look on the waiters face? It would almost be worth the trip into town to try it….. Apparently this is also the name for beets that have been spiralized so I guess anything starting with a B gets the Boodle name.
Butternut Squash Noodle and Walnut Stir Fry
But lets get back onto butternut squash noodle and walnut stir fry shall we? So we have our boodles, you can make them yourself or buy them ready made (lazy I know, but I won’t judge I have committed worse kitchen shortcuts) and they are accompanied by red onion, a little garlic, chopped tinned tomatoes, a little tomato paste to intensify the tomato flavour and some cherry tomatoes, well, because we all love tomatoes. A little pinch of crushed chillies to add a little heat, some salt and pepper to taste and some walnuts to provide taste, texture but more importantly some protein. This is all fried up in a little olive oil and served in a bowl to keep ourselves extremely on trend. (Again check out my predictions and look under Power Bowls).
Quick and tasty you won’t go wrong with this dish. If you have an aversion to butternut squash then you could always try spiralized carrot instead.
Vegan and Gluten Free
This dish like every dish on my blog is vegetarian at a minimum but this one is also naturally vegan and gluten free. So its a great dish for a wide variety of people making this dish great for a dinner party. If you can’t eat a meal without meat then I guess you could always add chicken or maybe some chorizo sausage. But go on give yourself a meat free treat and try this butternut squash noodle and walnut stir fry meatless, I promise you won’t regret it.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion - diced
- 1 clove garlic - crushed & diced
- 400 grams chopped tinned tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 250 grams butternut squash spriralized (9 ounces)
- 10 cherry tomatoes - halved
- Crushed dried chillies to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 110 grams walnut halves (1 cup)
- In a large frying pan or skillet gently heat the oil and add in the diced onion and fry for a few minutes.
- Then add in the crushed garlic and fry for another minute.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and gently heat through.
- Once everything is gently bubbling add in you butternut squash noodles and cherry tomato halves, and stir everything together for 3 to 4 minutes to heat the noodles through.
- Add in the crushed chillies, salt and pepper to taste and stir everything together.
- Throw in the walnut halves and stir everything together and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes then serve immediately.