It has been forever and a day since I last dusted off my doughnut pan, my last foray into baked doughnut’s was last year with these lovely salted caramel topped chocolate doughnuts during doughnut week! But recently some of my favourite blogs have been featuring baked doughnuts and it certainly got me inspired.
Surprise surprise Banana
I have made no secret on this blog how much I love banana I have baked it in muffins, cake, sweet rolls, cupcakes but to name a few and mixed it with almost every flavour out there. Rum, chocolate, caramel, fudge and so on
So why not baked doughnuts? So with a few simple ingredients I whipped up this small batch of baked doughnuts. The taste and texture of these doughnuts is very reminiscent of banana bread.
While refining this recipe, I decided to add dark chocolate chips and they worked wonderfully, they gave the doughnuts a lovely little sweet crunch and added that something extra they were previously lacking. I used dark chocolate but you could use milk chocolate if you prefer your chocolate a little less bitter.
While playing around with different glazes, and trust me I tried a few, I couldn’t find the right one. While finishing up one batch I spied my jar of Nutella and decided to just spread a dollop on top just to cheer myself up and you know what it worked perfectly. It’s quick and simple and let’s face it who doesn’t love a dollop of Nutella? And if you don’t like the lovely nutty chocolate spread then these doughnuts are really nice unglazed.
This recipe is just the right amount to make 6 baked doughnut’s, as this is the size of most doughnut pans. But the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if required.These are a healthy alternative to fried doughnuts, there is very little fat in these and a small amount of sugar. To keep them moist and tender I have added Greek yogurt to the batter and of course the banana keeps them sweet These doughnuts are best on the day of baking but will keep in an airtight tin for up to 3 days.
- 100 grams Plain flour (All Purpose), (Scant ¾ cup)
- 45 grams granulated sugar, (3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 35 grams dark chocolate chips, (6 tablespoons)
- 20 grams unsalted butter - melted, (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon)
- 45 grams Greek yogurt, (3 tablespoons)
- 1 large Egg
- 3 teaspoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small ripe banana - mashed
- 6 teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease you doughnut pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add your flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and dark chocolate chips and mix until everything is well combined.
- In a microwavable bowl or jug melt your butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Mix in the yogurt, egg milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- Stir the banana into the liquid ingredients then pour the wet into the dry ingredients and gently mix to combine everything.
- Pipe or spoon your mixture evenly into the 6 different doughnut holes and pop the pan into your oven for 10 to 12 minutes. You are wanting your doughnuts to be firm to the touch and a lovely light golden colour.
- Once baked take them out of the oven and leave them in the pan for a few more minutes then take them out and allow then to fully cool down on a wire rack.
- Once fully cool spoon a teaspoon on Nutella onto each doughnut and spread to cover the top. More or less can be added according to taste.
- Kept in an airtight tin these doughnuts will be good for 3 days.